San Antonio, TX – Fifteen NCOA scholarships were recently awarded to dependents of NCOA members. NCOA Scholarships are initially awarded for one academic year, but the student may be considered to receive this assistance throughout four years of undergraduate study if the student maintains a “B” average, carries the prescribed minimum of 15 hours and submits the required renewal application.
Receiving NCOA scholarships for the 2017-18 school year are:
- Mandy I. Abernathy, daughter of SCPO (Ret) Kent and Marsha Abernathy of Norfolk, NE, recipient of the Walter W. Krueger Distinguished Scholarship
- Nelcy D. Avila, daughter of CW5 Fernando and Blanca Avila of Waldorf, MD
- Kamille D. Bonecutter, daughter of SMSgt (Ret) Ronald and Patricia Bonecutter, of Gallipolis Ferry, WV
- Carson J. Dennis, son of SCPO (Ret) Tom and Vivian Dennis of Grand Forks, ND.
- Peyton Grimes, daughter of SMSgt (Ret) John and Michelle Casey of Electra, TX.
- Madeleine Hayes, daughter of MCPO (Ret) Jeffrey and Tammy Hayes of Willis, TX, recipient of the NCOA Charles Calhoun Distinguished Scholarship
- Leonia M. Hunt, daughter of MSgt David and Veronica Hunt of Merritt Island, FL
- Kristin Kim, daughter of SCPO (Ret) Michael and Song Kim of Fredericksburg, VA, recipient of the NCOA Charles R. Jackson Distinguished Scholarship
- Allison M. McCrea, daughter of Army Veteran SPC Kevin and Marie McCrea of Plymouth Meeting, PA, recipient of the E.L. “Ben” Benzel Distinguished Scholarship
- Elaine Phillips, daughter of Air Force Veteran SSgt Amanda Phillips of Wayland, MA.
- Jake C. Prather, son of MSG Gilbert and Jackie Prather of DeRidder, LA
- Marisa R. Rizzo, daughter of Navy Veteran PO3 Paul and Barbie Rizzo of Plainville, CT, recipient of the NCOA L.D. “Crow” Crawford Distinguished Scholarship
- Carol Ann Schwarzenbach, daughter of Marine Corps Veterans GySgt Carol and SgtMaj (Ret) Max Schwarzenbach of Jacksonville, NC.
- Rachel L. Westby, daughter of Navy Veteran PO3 Dean and Army Veteran SPC Linda Westby of Tucson, AZ
- Caroline Ytzen, daughter of MSgt (Ret) Scott and Suzan Ytzen of Colorado Springs, CO, recipient of the Gary R. Pfingston Distinguished Scholarship
The NCOA Scholarship Fund has been providing grants to the children and spouses of NCOA members since 1975. To date nearly 1.5 million dollars has been committed to educating tomorrow’s leaders.
NCOA is grateful to our members and chapters and corporate supporters. Without their continued generosity, none of these scholarships would be possible.